Sunday, February 12, 2012

Doglands by Tom Wilcox


Doglands a new book by Tom Wilcox.

I sat down and read this wonderfully heartwarming, heartwrenching tale in an afternoon. If you are an animal lover you are gonna be pulled in by the story for sure. My mother read it after me, and kept saying " Thankfullly I didn't read this when I was a kid, I would have constantly been freeing dogs to run free." I believe it too, that's just the way she is.

Furgul is a puppy born in a slave camp for racing greyhounds, and he has a terrible secret--he is himself only part greyhound. When the cruel owner of the camp recognizes Furgul's impure origins he takes Furgul to be killed, but Furgal manages a spectacular escape. Now Furgul must confront the indifference, complexity, warmth, and ferocity of the greater world, a world in which there seem to be two choices: live the comfortable life of a pet and sacrifice freedom or live the life of a free dog, glorious but also dangerous, in which every man will turn his hand against you. In the best tradition of The Call of the Wild and Watership Down, novelist Tim Willocks offers his first tale for young adults, an allegorical examination of human life through a dog's eyes, infused with heart, heroism, and the mysteries of the spirit. From the Hardcover edition.

I fell in love with Furgul. He is such a courageous puppy and you just want to root for him. I really love the way the author writes from a dogs point of view so you really feel connected to Furgul and to all the other characters. The other thing I loved is even though the story is about dogs, I know a lot of people can relate to the things the dog is going through, like not knowing his dad, wanting his mother to be proud of him, not understanding everything that is happening around him, and wanting to stand up and fight when no one else is willing too.

I really enjoyed reading this book and recommend it to my animal loving friends, its not a hard read and you won't be disappointed in the story telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment