Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review of Songs of Love and Death




Songs of Love and Death editted by George R R Martin and Gardner Dozors. with stories from Neil Gaiman, Diana Garbaldon, Jum Butcher, Marjorie M. Lui, Jacqueline Carey, Carrie Vaughn and many more.

Im reading this short story compilation right now.. and am loving it.. A lot of the stories are by authors that I know well and some by author's don't know anything about.

I will tell you it's very enjoyable to read. I love short story comp's because I can read a story in between other things I'm doing and not lose anything from the story or get sucked into 2 hours of reading when I should be doing other stuff.

So far :
Love Hurts by Jim Butcher - our lovable Harry in a short story about love and lust.. cute story.. enjoyable to read and the characters are likable, never having read the Dresden Files ( I want too, its on my list) It definitely made me want to pick up the series.. I will soon for sure 4/5 stars

The Marrying Maid by Jo Beverly - Kinda drawn out in some parts.. not really my cup of tea.. but still well written and a quick read.. interesting twist on a old tale.. which is what I enjoyed most about it. 3/5 stars

Rooftops by Carrie Vaughn - Enjoyable to read interesting.. want to look into her as an author now because I like her superhero concept.. but the end wrapped up kinda funny.. but other then that was engaging and the character believable and a bit likable ( im a bit biased because Im a huge theatre person and the story is about a playwright's opening night). 3.5/5 stars

Hurt Me by M. L. N. Hanover - I liked the concept of this story and I loved the ending.. I thought it but wasn't certain that was where the writer was going til the end. I liked the character and the neighbors insight into the situation. Very interesting and engaging. 4.2/5 stars

Demon Lover by Cecelia Holland - The story is interesting and has a twist thats enjoyable. It's cool that the characters each have a background to them. I liked the fantasy part of the story.. and the way the people in the world were frightened.. I also liked the message it ended with. 3.7/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment