Monday, October 22, 2012

Willow by Julia Hoban Review

Now I picked this up because I have wanted to read it for a while. It's a book about a girl who feels her only way to have control is to cut and about a boy who stumbles upon her problem and tries to help. I can relate with this book a lot. I don't cut, but I used to do another form of self mutilation and went through lots of people trying to be helpful and anger and lost friendships.

Julia really captures the essence of being someone lost. I really enjoyed the way she writes, in the way she tells her story, allows her characters to grow and change and is constantly giving them depth. I am glad I picked up the book.

Willow's character is self absorbed with feeling sorry for herself for the horrible events in her life. I know how it feels to feel responsible and feel like no one around you gets it or understands. I really connected with her character because she was believable and she was heartbreaking and angry and everything a good main character should have.

Now Guy was a great character because she wrote him believable like someone who would truly care and want her to get better, and would try everything he could to help her. I loved that about him and the way he had anger and was more real because he went through emotions and had his own issues going on.

I give this book a good rating if you haven't read it, it is a quick read and worth picking up.

You can rent it from your local library or pick it up at amazon or your local bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment